Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life... he who feeds on this bread will live forever" (John 6:35 & 58)

Thursday, March 24, 2011

Let All The Things Fall!

Like most busy women (and men) out there, I feel overwhelmed at times.  Between juggling kids, husband, church, school, home, practices, work, shopping, cleaning, volunteering, (and everything else in between) there are many days I feel a lot like Dr. Seuss's Cat in the Hat up on his ball.  I keep telling myself, "no matter what... just don't let all the things fall!"

Can anyone relate? 

But maybe we do need to let all the things fall... for just a little while anyway.  And make some time for the Maker of Time.  To illustrate this point, I wrote a poem about it... in the tradition of Dr. Seuss, of course!

Oh Great I AM, oh Great I AM,
I have no time, oh Son of Man!
Life's too busy for me to stay,
Life's too crazy for me to pray.
There's dishes & laundry & mopping the floor,
A long list ready for the grocery store.
There are beds to make with toys everywhere,
Money is tight and I found more gray hair!
The toilets have rings and our faucet still drips,
My old jeans don't like my post-baby hips.
Oh Great I AM, oh Great I AM,
Please lend a hand oh Son of Man!
I need all the help your grace will allow,
I need coffee and sleep and patience RIGHT NOW!
I'm forever late despite all my rushing,
The car's a disaster... do my teeth need brushing?
What's that You say?
We need time alone?
Just a second dear Lord, let me answer the phone...
"Don't answer," You say?  Oh Lord don't You know?
I'm the wife-mother-friend-aunt-sister-daughter-volunteer who's running the show!
"Yes, you've been busy," The Lord said with a nod,
"But who you are first is a child of God!
You spend your day running,
To and fro with much haste,
But time spent with Me is never a waste.
I have big plans for your life & blessings to give,
I came and died for you,
So that you might live!
I'm patiently waiting, just seek Me out!
Bring Me your faith - bring Me your doubt.
I can help with family and friends,
Even neighbors to boot -
I work all things for good and in you produce fruit.
There's just one condition for all I've in store:
I desire your whole heart... nothing less, nothing more.
So what do you say, Mom?  Try Me out, know Me better!
Read that Good Book I wrote, it is My love letter.
I know life's not easy, but this promise I keep -
Your Good Shepherd's with you,
I never leave My sheep!
So what's this you say - you've no time to pray?
But try it!  Try it!  Without delay!  Why not start this very day?
Make some time to pray today
and then you may, yes you just may,
Find that in prayer, you will want to stay!"

2 comments:

  1. This is amazing...thanks Nanci. God really spoke to me through this and through you. You truely have been a blessing to know and I hope that I will get to know more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup,that is the truth! Thanks Nanci!

    ReplyDelete