Then Jesus declared, "I am the bread of life... he who feeds on this bread will live forever" (John 6:35 & 58)

Friday, March 25, 2011

Church Is Full Of Hypocrites!

Hypocrisy is defined as: "a pretense of having a virtuous character, moral or religious beliefs or principles, etc., that one does not really possess."

It's certainly a trait most of us condemn.  It's also one of the most common, (and I'm starting to think a little canned) responses I've heard as to why people choose not to go to church.  We've all heard it before, maybe you have even said it a time or two yourself: "I believe in God, but I don't go to church because it's full of hypocrites!"

Well, DUH! 

But if hypocrites are all you see, then you're not really paying attention... we are WAY worse than that!  You missed all the selfish liars, cheats, blasphemers and crooks, just to name a few.  Real followers of Christ aren't people who think they are perfect.  Rather, they know they are sinners who have been saved by grace.

Funny how that same standard isn't applied across the board.  There are hospitals, universities and courtrooms full of hypocrites and yet we don't forsake medicine, education, or justice.  There are plenty of hypocritical farmers around the world and everyone I know still eats.  I'll bet the fashion industry has its fair share too, but nobody seems to mind that very much when the rack is 50% off. 

So if folks are so quick to condemn hypocrisy and avoid any semblance of double standards in one area but not in others, isn't that... well... a little hypocritical?  Hmmm, maybe they do belong in church after all.

2 comments:

  1. "It is not the healthy people who need a doctor, but the sick. I did not come to invite good people but to invite sinners." Mark 2:17 NCV

    Well, Lord...I'm definitely a hypocrite infected w/sin and am NOT a good person so I'm glad I have a Savior who is a Great Physician! :)

    ReplyDelete